About Me

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

MySpace, You're Crampin My Style

So lately I've been thinking a lot about how we, as a human race, are going to progress in the future and whether or not we will stay as connected as we are today. It seems to me that there are certain trends that come and go with people and I'm curious to see if Facebook is going to be one of those fads. Granted, Facebook has been around for nearly 8 years but are we ever going to be without it anymore? Are people just going to be over it the way they were with MySpace? I think it might happen.

I really think that there has to be something else that will come along that will take everyone away from Facebook and no one will be that interested in it anymore. When you look back to sites that we used when were were in high school like Melodramatic, Myspace, and God knows what else, the moment we started hearing about Facebook we just got up and left without really even thinking about it. Thats kind of a messed up thing to do to someone but I don't think anyone can really blame us. Its almost looking at it as if we were customers at a coffee shop. We go there everyday and that is the cool place to be after school or a football game or something; everyone you know goes there to hang out. And the coffee is good, not great, but thats not really the reason why you go. You go because its a social interaction and lets face it, its cool to hang out there. But what if we just picked up and left one day to go to another shop down the street? That coffee shop we used to hang out at relied on our business to stay open, and now its shutting down.

To me, I'd feel kind of bad leaving without any remorse or overall reason. The only real reason why we left was because everyone else left; it was the cool thing to do. People were somewhat happy with MySpace simply because they didn't know any better. But the moment a bigger cooler site comes along everyone packs their bags and leaves. Now I'm not saying its wrong, but if I'd be pretty damn annoyed if I'm Tom, the creator of MySpace.

No comments:

Post a Comment